BOSTON, Mass. – In their final regular season match of the 2019 season, volleyball gave their three senior members a match to remember as the Beacons rallied from a 2-1 deficit to earn a 3-2 win over Brandeis University Saturday afternoon at Clark Athletic Center Gymnasium.
UMass Boston 3, Brandeis University 2
UMass Boston (9-18)
Brandeis University (4-19)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a huge a solid 25-20 win in the first set in which they hit .270, the Beacons could not get any going over the next two frames, as Brandeis earned a 25-18 win in the second and a 25-21 in the third. The fourth set saw UMass Boston return to their normal ways as they registered a 25-15 victory behind a .344 hitting percentage. In the fifth set was all UMass Boston from start-to-finish as they cruised to a 15-8 victory.
Emilia Czapiewska (Saint Paul, Minn.) led the Beacons offense with 16 kills, while Doyle was the team's most consistent hitter with her .429 hitting percentage. Carsen Komminsk (Worthington, Ohio) recorded a career-high 43 assists, and finished with 11 digs to earn her 10th double-double of the regular season.
Tyla Parker (Mahwah, N.J.) led the Beacons backrow with 19 digs, and was the top server as she scored six aces. Berch matched the match-high in aces with six of her own, including two in the final set to help secure the victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Doyle notched four block solos and two block assists in the win
- Marcelle Tiscareno (El Paso, Texas) finished with 10 kills and had a .292 hitting percentage
- Czapiewska now needs two kills to record her 600th
- All-time the Beacons are now 8-12 against Brandeis
- The Beacons have now won seven straight over the Judges, which included a pair of 3-2 victories
- Saturday's win was the Beacons first over the Judges on their home court since 2016
The Beacons will host Keene State College on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the quarterfinal round of the 2019 Little East Conference Tournament.