BOSTON, Mass.—UMass Boston women's soccer dominated from start-to-finish, en-route to a 3-0 shutout win over host Simmons College on Saturday morning.
UMass Boston 3, Simmons College 0
(UMass Boston 3-1)
(Simmons College 0-2-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
In net, freshman Maria Spylios (Leominster, Mass.) turned in her second shutout in four collegiate starts. She did not face a shot over the course of 90 minutes.
UMass Boston controlled the game the entire way. They outshot the Sharks 11-0 in the first half and finished the game with a dominant 24-2 shot advantage.
The Beacons got on the board at 13:20 off of a corner kick. After the initial corner kick was cleared out of the box, Anderson rushed forward and beat a defender to the ball, before unleashing a low left-footed shot across goal that skipped past the keeper and inside the far post.
UMass Boston doubled their lead exactly a minute later, on a beautifully worked corner kick. Grace Oliver (Rockland, Mass.) sent a corner kick into the box that was headed down by Mary Jo Murphy (Worcester, Mass.) right to a wide-open McGettrick. With her back to goal, McGettrick back-heel flicked the ball in between the keeper and a defender at the post.
The Beacons closed out the scoring at 79:47. After Simmons attempted to clear the ball, Oliver won a 50/50 challenge and slipped a through ball between two defenders for a racing Crawford, who's right footed shot slid just underneath the on-rushing keeper and in.
BY THE NUMBERS
- UMass Boston led the contest 24-2 in shots and 3-0 in shots on goal. The Beacons also had a 2-0 edge in corner kicks.
- McGettrick has recorded three goals and one game-winning goals in her past two contests. Through four games, she has almost reached half of her point total from her freshman season (16).
- Saturday's contest marked the Beacons' second all-time meeting with the Sharks. UMass Boston and Simmons played to a 3-3, double-overtime time in 2010.
- Oliver led the Beacons with two assists in the contest.
- Anderson's goal marked her first collegiate goal.
- With the loss, Simmons falls to 0-2-1. The Sharks have yet to record a goal this season.
UMass Boston will aim for their first-ever win against Babson College on Tuesday afternoon at 4 p.m. in Wellesley. The Beacons fell 2-1 to the Beavers last year in their home opener.