RYE, N.Y. – Behind a 40 save performance by Rachel Myette (Duxbury, Mass.), women's hockey got back on the winning track as they defeated Manhattanville College by the final of 3-2 Friday evening at the Playland Ice Casino in an New England Hockey Conference contest.
UMass Boston 3, Manhattanville College 3
UMass Boston (10-4-0, 5-2-0 NEHC)
Manhattanville College (7-5-0, 5-2-0 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Along with Myette's 40 stops, the Beacons also got three early goals in the first 11 minutes, 32 seconds. Edy Moritz (Guilford, Conn.) scored the first goal of the night just over two minute into the contest. Kristen Embrey (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) would then make it a two goal game just over six minutes later as the Beacons offense continued to dominate their longtime rivals.
UMB's final goal of the night would come from Emily Harris (Littleton, Colo.) to give the Beacons a comfortable lead in a crucial conference game. The Valiants ended the Beacons scoring spree on the power-play with less than five minutes to play in the opening period.
In the second, the Valiants would find the back of the net for the final time with Nicole Mensi scoring just a minute, 44 seconds into the period. From that point the Valiants offense continued to pepper the Beacons defense, but UMB's back lines were up to the challenge.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Manhattanville College led the game in shots 42-18
- The Beacons were 0-for-5 on the power play, while the Valiants went 1-for-5
- With the win Myette improved to 7-4-0 on the year, while Olivia Drew fell to 3-3-0 after allowing the three early goals
- UMass Boston has now won four of the last five meetings with Manhattanville College
- Friday's win marked the first-ever three game win-streak for the Beacons over Manhattanville
The Beacons will travel to Salve Regina University tomorrow for a 7 p.m. conference game.