Three Goal First Pushes Women's Hockey Past Franklin Pierce

Three Goal First Pushes Women's Hockey Past Franklin Pierce

BOSTON, Mass. – With a combined three goals through the first 20 minutes of play and a tough defensive showing in the final minutes of the third women's hockey recorded their first-ever win over Franklin Pierce University by the final of 4-2 Wednesday afternoon in the Clark Athletic Center Ice Arena.

Wednesday's win marked the second time in three games that the Beacons recorded four goals against a non-conference opponent.  The victory improved UMB's overall record to 6-9-1.  Franklin Pierce, which is in its first-year as a collegiate program at the Division II level fell to 4-10-0.

The three goals in the opening period was the first of the season for the Beacons and saw Emily LaRosa (Weymouth, Mass.), Emily Howard (Terryville, Conn.), and Kayla Kiernan (North Smithfield, R.I.) each find the back of the net.

LaRosa sparked the breakout period with her fifth goal of the year at 7:07.  Howard notched her first assist of the year on the go-ahead goal.   Eight minutes later it was Howard's turn to find the back of the net, as she recorded her fifth tally of the campaign off of an Alli Greenberg (Stoughton, Mass.) assist.

Kiernan capped off the huge period with an unassisted goal, after she intercepted a Franklin Pierce pass at the red line.  She brought the puck in all the way and beat Ravens goalie Amelea Gray to the near post.

UMass went on to lead the period in shots 15-7.  After the first intermission neither team would find the back of the net, despite a 10-4 advantage in shots in favor of the Beacons.  The final period would see the Ravens mount a solid comeback first scoring on the power-play at 4:47.  Michaela Faia ended UMB's shutout bid with her seventh goal of the year. 

Colleen Doucette then made it a one score game at the 11:18 mark on her ninth goal of the season.  Faia and Karsyn Baker each assisted the momentum shifting goal.  Even with the push by the Franklin Pierce, UMass managed to hold strong and with less than four minutes to play secured the non-conference victory on a goal from LaRosa, her second of the night. 

Between the pipes freshman goalie Casey Schaejbe (Arlington, Mass.) earned her second win of the year, after producing 21 saves, 10 of which came in the final period.  Gray closed out the afternoon with 28 stops and held the Beacons scoreless for 36 minutes and 45 seconds, which allowed her team to battle back.

Women's Hockey returns to action on Friday when they travel to Plymouth State University for a 6 p.m. ECAC East conference game.