Women's Hockey Holds Off St. Michael's College In 5-4 Win

Women's Hockey Holds Off St. Michael's College In 5-4 Win

SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt.—Four Beacons scored and UMass Boston (2-3-1, 2-3-1 ECAC East) overcame a second period deficit on the road, to earn a 5-4 win over St. Michael's College (1-5, 1-5 ECAC East) Saturday afternoon at the Cairns Arena.

Sophomore Kayla Kiernan (North Smithfield, R.I.) scored two goals, including the game-winner, to help UMass Boston end a two-game losing streak. 

It was Kiernan's second two-goal game this season, as she leads the Beacons with four goals and six points. She also picked up an assist in the victory.

Sophomore Kailyn Burke (Franklin, Mass.) earned her first career victory in her first collegiate start. After making her collegiate debut in Friday night's 6-0 loss at Norwich University, Burke made 27 saves on 31 shots.

Seniors Emily LaRosa (Weymouth, Mass.) and sophomores Emily Howard (Terryville, Conn.) and Alyssa Sullivan (Medford, Mass.) scored goals as well for UMB.

While Alli Greenberg ( Stoughton, Mass.), Katie Loiselle (Glocester, R.I.) and Emily Russell (Marblehead, Mass.) all picked up assists.

Purple Vikings' sophomore Kristin Spulecki led the home team with two goals in the losing effort.

St. Michael's goalie Erin Stevens was under consistent pressure all afternoon long, making 36 stops on 41 shots.

The Beacons held a 41-31 shot advantage, but St. Michael's was much more effective on the power-play with a 2-for-6 effort. UMass Boston went 0-for-2 on their two chances.

The Beacons broke on the board with a pair of tallies in a 3:18 stretch of the opening period. Kiernan first went from forehand to backhand out front to deke Stevens at 7:30 before Stevens stopped an initial Kiernan shot a few minutes later, but Sullivan pounced on the rebound and potted her team's second goal, at the 10:48 mark.

St. Michael's would get a goal back late in the first period on the power play, when Spulecki beat Burke for the first of her two goals. 

In the second stanza, the teams combined for seven goals, all of which came in the final 4:36. After the hosts killed off a 17-second UMass Boston 5-on-3 power play and the ensuing one-player advantage, during which Stevens made back-to-back right pad saves to keep the score 2-1, Tracy Stevenson fired a shot from the left boards that knotted the game at the 15:24 mark.

Just 2:04 later, Allison Graf's shot from the left point found the upper right-hand corner of the net, giving Saint Michael's a 3-2 edge.

However, the Beacons countered when Howard skated into the zone and picked the upper right corner at 18:26, and LaRosa slipped a backhanded shot inside the left post with 45.3 seconds left.

In the third, Stevens denied Kiernan during a 2-on-1 break with four minutes gone before Kiernan made it 5-3 at 6:48. Just nine seconds removed from being released from the penalty box, Kiernan rushed into the zone and had a shot denied by Stevens, but she picked up the rebound and tallied. 

UMass Boston will finish off their three game road-trip when they travel to Brunswick, Maine Tuesday to face off against Bowdoin College at 7 p.m.