Women's Basketball Advances To Key Largo Classic Championship Game

Women's Basketball Advances To Key Largo Classic Championship Game

KEY LARGO, Fla.—Behind double-doubles from Kirsten Morrison (North Reading, Mass.) and Olivia Murphy (Canton, Mass.), UMass Boston (8-2) outlasted Maine Maritime Academy (3-4) 69-60 in double overtime Saturday afternoon in the Key Largo Classic semifinals.

The pair of underclassmen forwards combined to outscore the Mariners in double overtime (8-4) and finished with 34 points and 39 rebounds in the Beacons third-straight win. With the victory, UMass Boston advances to Monday's Championship Game to take on the winner of Fitchburg State and Elmira.

Morrison was dominant in the paint, finishing with 14 points and a career-high 24 rebounds. She pulled down 12 offensive and 12 defensive boards to tie Eileen Fenton ('91) and Jennifer Allen ('84) for the fifth-most rebounds by a Beacon in a single game.

Her front-court mate was just as impressive, as Murphy poured in a game-high 20 points and added 15 rebounds. She grabbed four offensive rebounds in her fourth career double-double.

Guards Lauren Perra (Taunton, Mass.) and Teresa Pina (Boston, Mass.) joined the front-court in double-figures. Perra finished with 16 points and added a game-high five assists and four 3-pointers. Pina chipped in with 11 points, three assists and five rebounds in the victory.

Mary Badeen led three Mariners in double-figures with 17 points and 11 rebounds in 40 minutes off the bench.  

UMass Boston earned the victory by grabbing 26 offensive rebounds and forcing 31 Maine Maritime turnovers.

The two teams traded leads over a slow first half, with the Beacons grabbing their largest lead of the stanza 25-20, behind a Perra 3-pointer with one second to go before the break.

UMass Boston carried the momentum into the second half as they extended the lead to 13 three minutes into the second half. Perra opened up the half by knocking down two more threes and Murphy added a layup to cap off the Beacons 11-0 run at the 17:56 mark.

The Beacons held on to a three possession lead for the next 12 minutes before the Mariners finally cut into the lead. Maine Maritime used a 7-0 run between the 5:13 and 3:02 of the second half to tie the score at 43 and set up a thrilling final 66 seconds.

Morrison put the Beacons up 45-43 with two free throws with 1:06 left, but Mary Badeen tied it at 45 with two free throws of her own on the next possession. After Badeen forced a steal, she put her team up 47-45 with 31 seconds to go on a layup, but Pina would have the answer. The Beacons senior guard took a pass from Morrison and connected on a layup with 17 seconds to go to force overtime.

The first overtime would follow a similar pattern, as the Beacons jumped out a slight lead and then needed a late basket to overcome Badeen and the Mariners.

UMass Boston scored the first four points to take a 51-47 lead but trailed by two with 30 seconds to go when Badeen hit the second of two free throws. This time Pina found Murphy on a layup with 20 seconds to go and the Beacons defense held Maine Maritime shotless to extend the game five more minutes.

Morrison and Murphy wanted no piece of a third overtime, as the pair scored six of the first eight points in overtime to give UMass Boston a 62-58 lead three minutes into the session. After two missed shots by the Mariners, Perra put the game out of reach with her fourth 3-pointer of the day to give the Beacons a 65-58 lead. Two made free throws each from Andrea Suffredini (Milford, Mass.) and Murphy helped the Beacons close out the 69-60 win.