Second Half Run Leads Keene State Past Lacrosse In LEC Opener

Second Half Run Leads Keene State Past Lacrosse In LEC Opener

KEENE, N.H.—Keene State College used a 10-0 run to take the lead and control of the game, as the defending Little East Conference Champions defeated UMass Boston lacrosse 19-5 Sunday afternoon. 


Keene State 19, UMass Boston 5

(UMass Boston 1-6, Little East 0-1) 
(Keene State 2-4, Little East 1-0) 


UMass Boston was right with the Owls for the first 25 minutes, as the Beacons trailed 2-1 after one and scored the first two goals of the second quarter to grab a 3-2 advantage. 

The Owls tied the game with 6:26 to go before halftime and then scored four more goals before the break to open up a 7-3 lead. Keene would tack on the first five goals of the second half to turn a one-goal deficit into a nine-goal lead with 3:54 to play in the third stanza. 

UMass Boston senior goalie Cameron Dixson (Wayland, Mass.) tied his season and career-high with 23 saves in the loss. Dixson made at least four saves in all four quarters, including six in the first and eight more in the fourth. 

Offensively, Ned Parker (Stafford, Va.) and Conor Lenfest (Waltham, Mass.) paced the Beacons with two goals apiece. Freshman Darragh Fahey (Walpole, Mass.) added a goal on two shots. 

Keene State was led by Anthony Marcella (four goals, three assists) and Jordan Caito (three goals.). 

In net, Chase Chamberlin made 11 saves on 18 shots over the first three quarters. Former Beacon Alex Fawcette allowed one goal on one shot in the final 15 minutes. 

UMass Boston kept the game right where they wanted it early on, as UMass Boston went goal for goal with the Owls and kept the game low scoring. 

After Keene took the lead 1-0 early on, Lenfest answered at 11:27 to tie the game at 1-1. Keene State took a 2-1 lead into the first break after Dave Wiedenfeld scored for the hosts at 7:55. 

UMass Boston answered back with two goals in the first 2:22 of the second quarter. 

Lenfest tied the game 12 seconds into the quarter and Fahey scored with 12:38 left off a pass from Jack Riley (Wrentham, Mass.). 

UMass Boston would lock down the Owls offense for over 16 minutes, but when the Owls finally managed to score it gave them all the confidence would need. 

Marcella tied the game at 6:26 and then gave his team the lead for good at 4:11. Keene State would tack on seven more goals to open up a 12-3 lead with 3:54 left in the third. 

Parker stopped the bleeding with a goal with 1:11 left in the third and then scored the Beacons only goal in the fourth. 


  • Keene State outscored the Beacons 12-2 in the second half, including 5-1 in the third and 7-1 in the fourth. 
  • The Owls outshot the Beacons 68-21 and held a 44-18 advantage in ground balls. 
  • Riley made his collegiate lacrosse debut in the loss. The junior two-sport athlete (ice hockey) finished with an assist, two ground balls and three shots. 
  • Keene State finished 17-28 in the face-off X. The Beacons went 23-24 on clear attempts, while the hosts ended the game 31-31. 
  • Dixson was making his conference debut, after playing in five non-conference contests last season. He has now made 20 or more saves in three of his seven starts this year. 


UMass Boston will travel to Lasell College on Wednesday at 4 p.m. for a non-conference matchup.