Lacrosse Shocks UMass Dartmouth in OT for Conference Win

Lacrosse Shocks UMass Dartmouth in OT for Conference Win

NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass.—For the second consecutive season UMass Boston shocked UMass Dartmouth, as Ryan McGoff (Charlestown, Mass.) scored with seven second to go in overtime, to lift the Beacons to an 8-7 victory over the Corsairs Saturday afternoon at Cressy Field.

McGoff took a terrific feed from Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) down low and sent a high shot over the shoulder of Nick Thayer to earn the Beacons their first Little East Conference victory of the season. With the win, UMB picked up their first two-game winning streak of the year and moved to 4-9 overall, 1-2 in Little East play, while UMass Dartmouth fell to 8-2, 2-1 in conference action.  

McGoff was one of just four UMB players to score on the day, as Dom Fichera (Scituate, Mass.) carried the Beacons offense with a career-high five goals, scoring on every shot he took on the afternoon. After scoring just eight goals in the team's first 12 games, Fichera found the back of the net in every quarter and tied or gave UMB a lead with four of his five tallies.

Thomas Pettiti (Quincy, Mass.) and Delpha added the final two UMass Boston strikes, as the Beacons were outshot 41-21 on the afternoon.

Senior captain Henry Bristol (South Hadley, Mass.) was more than up to the task in net, making 15 stops, including two huge saves in the five-minute extra session. Bristol also recorded a game-high 10 ground balls as UMass Boston moved to 10-7 all-time against their in-state rivals.

The Beacons despite being outshot by the Corsairs, made every opportunity they had count as the defense led by Bristol did their part.  The two teams were identical in goals through all four quarters, with Pettiti starting off the afternoon with his first man-down goal of the year at 5:25 of the first.  Fichera notched his first of five tallies less than two minutes later to put UMB up 2-0.  The Corsairs did respond with a pair of their own.

After the first break, the Beacons attack was taken over by Fichera who scored the next three Beacons goals, starting with his first of the second at the 12:40 mark.  UMD responded with two goals of-their-own, but Fichera closed out the second with his third goal of the contest.

In the third, Fichera would once again strike to put UMB out in front.  Adam Niden, who finished with three goals for Dartmouth, evened the score at 5-5 with the last goal of the third.  In the fourth, Niden struck first, but with goals from Delpha and Fichera the Beacons retook the lead with just over six to play in the contest.  Connor Gaffney would tie the score at 7-7 at the 4:36 mark, setting up what would be a wild overtime period.  Through the five minute sudden death period, Bristol would come-up huge with a pair of saves, while his Corsairs counterpart Nick Thayer made one stop in the OT, before surrendering the game-winner from McGoff. 

On the day, UMass Dartmouth outshout the Beacons attack 41-21.  They also led the contest in groundballs coming up with 47, while UMB managed 36.  The clear attempts were almost even with UMD earning one more successful clear than the Beacons (18-17). 

Lacrosse returns to action on Wednesday when they travel to Keene State College for a 4 p.m. Little East Conference contest.