MIT Sneaks by Lacrosse in Double Overtime

MIT Sneaks by Lacrosse in Double Overtime

BOSTON, Mass. – With his 11th goal of the season Jake Slonaker was able to give MIT (3-4) a 9-8 double overtime win over men's lacrosse (1-6) Tuesday afternoon at Clark Athletic Center Field. 

The goal, which was scored at 3:03 in the second overtime period was assisted by Mike Gibson, his second of the day.  After bringing the ball up the field, Gibson would lay it off to Slonaker who was wide-open in front of the Beacons cage.  Freshman goalie Henry Bristol (South Hadley, Mass.) nearly pulled off the save, but Slonaker's shot managed to beat the netminder to the high near post giving the Engineers the non-conference victory.

The overtime victory marked the second of the year for MIT as they earned a triple overtime victory over the University of New England back on March 17.

Slonaker's game-winner was his third of the day as he led MIT's attack in Tuesday's contest.  After him a total of six different players would score for the Engineers including Ben Hessels who also had one assist as well.

For the Beacons Ryan FitzGerald (Abington, Mass.) netted a hat-trick of his own.  The senior attacker got UMass on the scoreboard in the first and actually gave them the lead as he scored back-to-back goals to make it 2-1 in favor of the Beacons.  Also finding the back of the net on Tuesday was Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) who scored his team-leading fourth man-up goal of the year with less than four minutes left in the second.  He would also net his second goal of the game in the second, with 22 seconds left in the half to tie the score at 5-5.

Leo Ajemian (Walpole, Mass.) was another go-to playmaker for UMass as he dished out two assists while also winning nine of the Beacons 12 face-offs.  Bristol collected a game-high eight groundballs between the pipes and also made a total of 12 saves.  His MIT counterpart Christopher Rullan totaled six stops in the contest and faced a combined 20 shots from the Beacons attack.

As a team, UMass won the face-off battle as they went 12-for-22 and were also 1-for-4 on man-up opportunities.  In groundballs they managed to collect 39 on the day, while the Engineers came-up with 34.  MIT was 0-for-5 on man-ups and were 17-for-20 on clear attempts.

Tim Wilczynski finished led MIT with seven groundballs, while Hessels fired-off a game-high seven shots.  Delpha totaled six shots for the Beacons, with Ajemian finishing with five.

After the break both teams would match-up evenly as they each recorded three goals in the final 30 minutes of regulation.  Tied at 8-8 the two teams faced-off in the first overtime.  UMass would get off two shots, while MIT managed one, with Bristol coming up with the huge stop.

Still tied after the first OT, the two squads squared-up again with both team's getting off one shot.

Lacrosse returns to action on Saturday when they host Western Connecticut State University at 1 p.m. in a Little East Conference contest.