GENEVA, N.Y. – A five goal second period carried the 11th/12th ranked Statesmen of Hobart College past the 12th/14th ranked Beacons as they were handed a 5-0 loss Saturday afternoon at the Cooler in a New England Hockey Conference match-up.
#12/14 UMass Boston 0, #11/12 Hobart College 5
UMass Boston (14-9-0, 9-7-0 NEHC)
Hobart College (13-5-5, 10-3-3 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a scoreless first period, the host Statemen unloaded five straight goals over an 11-minute span to hand the Beacons their second straight loss of the weekend, and third since last Saturday.
With the weekend sweep, the Beacons still sit in fourth place in the conference standings, with only two more games left in the regular season. The Beacons still lead the fifth place Pilgrims of New England College by three points, with the two teams scheduled to face each other next Friday night.
All the Beacons will need is a tie to secure the fourth-seed in the conference tournament.
Hobart College dominated Saturday's contest as they outshot the Beacons 45-19. UMB was held to a season-low two shots in the first period. Bailey MacBurnie (Beverly, Mass.) held the Statesmen scoreless in the first 20 minutes, but could not hold-off Hobart in the second.
Anthony D'Urso (Rome, N.Y.) closed out Saturday's conference game with 19 saves, while MacBurnie finished with 21.
BY THE NUMBERS
- On the day, the Beacons finished 0-for-6 on the power-play, while the Statesmen finished 1-for-8
- In total there were 17 penalties called in Saturday's contest for a combined 34 minutes respectively
- All-time the Beacons lead the series with Hobart 5-2-1
- Saturday's loss ended the Beacons four-game (3-0-1) unbeaten streak which dated back to January 30, 1999
- Saturday's loss marked the first time that UMass Boston has dropped a contest in the Cooler
The Beacons will host New England College on Friday at 7 p.m.