BRIDGEWATER, Mass. – Led by Charles Mitchell (Boston, Mass.) and Michael Boyd's (Malden, Mass.) game-high 24 points and Malik Lorquet's (Sharon, Mass.) double-double men's basketball cruised past Bridgewater State University as they earned an 86-70 non-conference win Thursday evening at the Tinsley Center.
UMass Boston 86, Bridgewater State University 70
UMass Boston (3-0)
Bridgewater State University (0-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
For the second straight game Mitchell paced the Beacons offense as he recorded 20+ points. The junior guard finished 9-for-17 from the field and 3-for-8 from distance. Boyd kept pace with his classmate as he put together a 10-for-17 showing, which included one 3-pointer.
Lorquet produced his second-straight double-double in the win as he grabbed a season-high 18 rebounds, with 10 of those coming on the offensive glass. The sophomore finished 7-for-12 from the field and 2-for-4 at the line to end his night with 16 points.
The Beacons were red-hot in the first half as they shot over 64.% from the field (20-31), and over 44% from 3-point range (4-9). The Beacons also held an 18-7 advantage on the glass as they went into the halftime break with a 45-31 lead.
UMass Boston continued to keep their distance from the Bears in the second half thanks to 13 points from Boyd. Lorquet also grabbed 10 of his 18 rebounds over the final 20 minutes, while adding eight points.
BY THE NUMBERS
- With his 24 points, Boyd now needs 240 points for his 1,000th career point
- The Beacons are now 3-0 for the third time in the last five seasons
- All-time the Beacons are now 20-18 against Bridgewater State
- The Beacons have now won two-straight over the Bears for the first time since 2003
- Lorquet's 18 rebounds was a career-high and the second straight season that the sophomore has recorded 17 or more boards against the Bears
The Beacons will host Framingham State University on Friday at 5 pm on the first day of the 2nd Annual Paula Titus Memorial Invitational.