DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Another stellar performance by freshman Dylan Fashempour (Redlands, Calif.) baseball cruised to their ninth straight win as they earned a 7-1 Little East Conference win over UMass Dartmouth Tuesday afternoon UMD Baseball Complex.
UMass Boston 7, UMass Dartmouth 1
UMass Boston (24-10, 11-3 Little East Conference)
UMass Dartmouth (16-18, 7-7 Little East Conference)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Despite only recording one strikeout, Fashempour scattered just six hits, while only allowing one run, unearned in the huge conference win. With the victory, the Beacons continue to keep pace in the conference standings with one doubleheader left in the conference regular season.
After Fashempour's shutdown performance, Joey Rogers (Dighton, Mass.) closed out the final two innings allowing just two hits, while striking out two. The two hurlers did not allow a walk in the victory or an extra base hit.
UMass Dartmouth's only run came in the bottom of the third inning on the lone error by the Beacons. From there it was all Beacons as they evened the score at 1-1 in the top of the fourth. They then added two more runs in fifth and two more in the sixth. After a scoreless seventh, the Beacons sealed the victory in the eighth with two more runs with Kyle Boudrias (Medford, Mass.) and Eddie Riley (Quincy, Mass.) each driving in a run.
Riley led UMB's offense with a 3-for-5 showing which included an RBI and a run scored and the game's only double. Boudrias was 2-for-4 with two RBI as he extended his hit-streak to 26-straight games.
BY THE NUMBERS
- With the win the Beacons now need a sweep on Friday and at-least a split between Plymouth State and Southern Maine in their conference doubleheader to give the Beacons a chance to win at-least a share of the LEC Regular Season title
- On the day the Beacons recorded 10 hits, but they did strand 11 on base
- Fashempour improved to 4-2 on the year, while Chase Stafford fell to 0-1 after allowing five runs, all earned, on six hits in 5.1 innings for the Corsairs
- With the win the Beacons and Corsairs split the regular season series
- UMB has now won six of their last seven meetings with UMD
- With his lone hit, Josh Lopez (New London, Conn.) recorded his 150th career hit as a Beacon
The Beacons will host Castleton University on Friday at 2:30 p.m. in a LEC doubleheader. Prior to the start of game two the Beacons will honor their senior members.