Oct. 3, 2009

Box Score

WILLIMANTIC, CT - Junior goalkeeper Michelle Cain (Essex, MA) registered her second shutout in as many matches for the University of Massachusetts Boston women's soccer team in a 0-0 tie at host Eastern Connecticut State University today in a Little East Conference match in Willimantic, CT.

The Beacons extend their school-record unbeaten streak to seven straight matches and are now 7-2-1 overall and 2-0-1 in LEC play to match their best start in league play in school history. The 0-0 tie is just the third in school history and also snaps a 13-match losing streak at the hands of the Warriors, who now stand at 5-3-2 on the season and 1-1-1 in conference action.

The first save of the afternoon was not made until 11 minutes into the second half when Eastern Connecticut State sophomore midfielder Jo-Ann Merheb (Bethel, CT) took a shot that was turned away by Cain. The first of three UMass Boston shots did not come until midway through the first overtime period when senior midfielder Kristi Morales (San Francisco, CA) took aim, but Warriors senior keeper Kim Church (Farmington, CT) made the save. Sophomore midfielder Brianna Cavanaugh (Belchertown, MA) followed just two minutes later for the Beacons, but was also denied by Church.

Eastern Connecticut State's best chance to break the deadlock came with seven minutes left in the second overtime period, when freshman midfielder Kelly Wallace (South Windsor, CT) took a cross from Merheb with open area on the right wing, carried to the end line, and found freshman forward Daniela Marchitto (Orange, CT) unmarked in front of the goal, but Marchitto one-timed the shot over the cross bar.

UMass Boston's defense limited Eastern scoring leader Sarah Swann (Oxford, CT) to one first-half shot. Swann, who had scored all six of her goals this year in the previous four matches, was marked closely by Beacons' sophomore defender Taylor Massmann (Kingston, MA).

Cain stopped the only shot in the match that she faced for UMass Boston and has not allowed a goal in her last 267:18 minutes of action, while Church stopped two shots for Eastern Connecticut State in a match that saw a combined nine shots taken.

The Beacons will be in action again on Tuesday, October 6 when they host Newbury College at 3:30 p.m. at the Clark Athletic Center Field, while the Warriors travel to Middletown, CT on October 7 to take on Wesleyan University at 4:00 p.m.