BIDDEFORD, Maine – Goals by Kaleigh Beauregard (Gaylord, Mich.) and Rachel Peacock (Billerica, Mass.) earned women's hockey a crucial 2-2 New England Hockey Conference tie with the University of New England Saturday afternoon.
UMass Boston 2, University of New England 2 (OT)
UMass Boston (2-2-1, 2-1-1 NEHC)
U. of New England (1-1-2, 1-1-2 NEHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a goal by the Nor'Easters at the midway point of the opening period, Beauregard netted the equalizer four minutes later-on the power-play. The junior forward knocked-in her second goal of the season off-of an assist by Peacock. Also getting in on the scoring play was Maren Brown (Brainerd, Minn.).
The second period would see UNE find the back of the net again to take a 2-1 lead at the nine-minute mark. Despite outshooting the Nor'Easters 20-14 the Beacons were only able to find the back of the net one more time. Peacock's game-tying goal came with 11 seconds left before the second intermission. Alli Bianchini (Sterling Heights, Mich.) and Edy Moritz (Guilford, Conn.) also assisted on the crucial goal which earned the Beacons a three-point weekend.
In the final frame of regulation, the two teams fired shot-after-shot hoping to break the tie, but the two team's goaltenders held strong on both sides of the ice.
Knotted at 2-2, the two squads headed into the overtime period. Neither team was whistled for a penalty, in the extra frame, with UMB recording the only two shots on goal.
BY THE NUMBERS
- On the day Rachel Myette (Duxbury, Mass.) recorded a total of 27 saves, while UNE's Caty Flagg finished with 46 stops
- The Beacons were 2-for-3 on the power-play and outshot UNE 48-31
- UMB's penalty kill held the Nor'Easters to just one goal on four power-play opportunities
- All-time UMass Boston is now 1-2-2 against the Nor'Easters
- Of their five meetings, the two teams have gone to overtime a combined four times
- The Beacons are now 0-1-1 in Biddeford
The Beacons will host Plymouth State University on Friday at 4 p.m. in a conference game.