Women's Hockey Blanks Southern Maine To Earn Second Straight Win

Women's Hockey Blanks Southern Maine To Earn Second Straight Win

BOSTON, Mass. - Three first period goals and a 16 save performance from sophomore goalie Casey Schaejbe (Arlington, Mass.) earned women's ice hockey (3-6-1) their second straight win as they defeated the Huskies of the University of Southern Maine (5-3-0) by the final of 3-0 Friday afternoon at the Clark Athletic Center Ice Arena.

Friday's contest, which was a rare non-conference game between the two squads, was highlighted by an explosive first period by the Beacons.  Within a five minute window the Beacons scored all three of their goals to take a 3-0 lead into the first intermission for the second straight game.

Combined with some huge stops by Schaejbe in the second and third period, UMass picked-up its first shutout of the season. The victory also marked the first for Schaejbe as the Arlington native now holds a 1-4-0 record.  One of the sophomore's biggest plays came with about five minutes left in the second when she denied Ally Vanidestine's break away opportunity on a huge glove save. 

Breaking the scoreless draw about nine minutes into the opening frame was Jenny Currie (Chelmsford, Mass.).  The sophomore transfer redirected a pass from Alexa Cappione (Massena, N.Y.) which beat USM's goalie to the near post.  At the 11:02 mark it was Samantha Fallon (Pembroke, Mass.) finding the back of the net as she pushed in her team-leading fifth goal of the season off of an Angela Dandreo (Swampscott, Mass.) pass. 

The Beacons final goal of the day came with just over six minutes left in the period as Alyssa Sullivan (Medford, Mass.) tapped in a perfectly placed pass from Kayla Kiernan (North Smithfield, R.I.).  Kiernan brought the puck up on the far side and after making a great move around a defenseman laid it off for Sullivan who put the final touch on it to make it 3-0 Beacons.

The loss marked the third straight for the Huskies after they opened the season with five straight wins in which they allowed just two goals.  Since then they have allowed 10 goals against, while only scoring three in return.  They have now been shutout in two straight games having dropped a 1-0 decision to Colby College earlier this week. 

Netminder Liz Bergstrom who was solid throughout the start of the season struggled in Friday's contest making just six saves while allowing all three Beacons goals.  Following the third goal, Bergstrom was replaced by Nia Kelly who finished with 16 saves in the loss.

Not only were the Beacons effective in the offensive end, but UMB's defense was also solid from start to finish as they held the Huskies scoreless on their four power-play attempts, while also blocking a total of five shots on goal.

The Beacons return to action tomorrow evening when they travel to Trinity College (Conn.) for a 7:30 p.m. non-conference game.