2013-14 Women's Basketball Season Preview Capsule
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW FOR THE 2013-14 SEASON
1. The Beacons are coming off their third-best season in terms of wins (14-12) and second-most conference wins (7-6) in program-history. UMass Boston won a pair of regular-season tournaments in the UMass Boston Tip-Off Tournament and the Key Largo Classic and finished above .500 in the Little East Conference for only the second-time in school history (06-07 season).
2. UMass Boston returns the best one-two duo in the Little East Conference in sophomore Olivia Murphy (Canton, Mass.) and junior Kirsten Morrison (North Reading, Mass.). The pair ranks first and second amongst returning players in scoring and first and third in rebounding. Murphy averaged a double-double with 14.5 points and 10.2 rebounds as a freshman to earn the Little East Conference Rookie of the Year Award, while Morrison, the 2012 LEC Rookie of the Year and a two-time All-Conference honoree, has averaged 15.2 points and 9.5 rebounds per game in her two years with the Beacons.
3. While the Beacons front court gets all the attention, point guards Andrea Suffredini (Milford, Mass.) and Lauren Perra (Taunton, Mass.) both finished last season in the top four in the Little East Conference in both assists per game and assist-to-turnover ratio. Together the pair combined for 193 assists in 26 games, or just under 7.5 assists per game.
4. With all three of the team's frontcourt rotation players back and the addition of forwards Elisa Ogawa (Yamanashi, Japan) and Katrina Edwards (Springfield, Mass.), UMass Boston will look to build upon their league-leading rebounding numbers. The Beacons pulled down a league-high 46.5 rebounds per game, owned a LEC best 8.3 rebounding margin and collected an astounding 19 offensive rebounds per game.
5. This season UMass Boston will face one of their most difficult non-conference seasons to date, with games against Brandeis University, Wesleyan University, Suffolk University and the team's first ever contest against Husson University.
MEET THE 2013-14 UMASS BOSTON WOMEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM
|#00 Brittany Moore|
|#2 Lauren Perra|
|#10 Elisa Ogawa|
|#11 Shelby Buck|
|#12 Andrea Suffredini|
|#15 Olivia Murphy|
|#20 Amanda Cavallaro|
|#21 Erica McGreevy|
|#23 Erin Fennessy|
|#25 Chantel Jordan|
|#32 Katrina Edwards|
|#34 Haley Van Orman|
|#42 Mallory Nelson|
|#44 Kirsten Morrison|
|#54 Shyanne Wellington|