Sweet Sixteen Bound: #10/15 Men's Soccer Outlasts #13/15 Haverford In PKs

Sweet Sixteen Bound: #10/15 Men's Soccer Outlasts #13/15 Haverford In PKs

HAVERFORD, Pa.--#10/15 UMass Boston men's soccer overcame a late deficit and playing down two men for over 20 minutes, to defeat host #13/15 Haverford College in penalty kicks and advance to the Sweet Sixteen for the first time in program history.


#10/15 UMass Boston 1, #13/15 Haverford College 1 (UMass Boston 4-2 PKs)

(UMass Boston 18-1-3)

(Haverford College 14-3-2)


Freshman goalie Omar Castro-Dreher (Woonsocket, R.I.) made a career-high 11 saves and then stopped two of the four penalty kicks he faced in his best collegiate outing by far. With the Beacons leading 3-2, senior Pedro De Carvalho (Praia, Cape Verde) calmly slotted the ball right down the middle to start the Beacons celebration off in front of a highly partisan Fords crowd. 

Senior Arlindo Goncalves (Brockton, Mass.) and juniors Calvin Smick (Wilmington, Del.) and Marcelo Cunha (Goiania, Brazil) also hit penalty kicks for the Beacons, who hit all four of their attempts.

With the win, UMass Boston advances to the Sweet Sixteen to take on the winner of Rowan University and Tufts University. The Beacons will find out the location, time and date on Monday morning.  

Haverford led for most of the contest, after their captain Will Corkery blasted a free kick through traffic just inside the far post in the 23rd minute.

After being sent down to 10 men in the 68th minute and seeing the Fords catch the crossbar in the 75th minute on a penalty kick, UMass Boston found an equalizer with 3:50 to play.

Goncalves played the ball forward for Rafael DeSouza (Ipatinga, Brazil) who slid it into the box for Ocane Williamson (Spanish Town, Jamaica). With a defender draped all over his back, Williamson turned the defender and blasted a right-footed shot past the keeper.

With the momentum totally in their favor, the Beacons were sent down to nine-men at 88:37.

From that point on, UMass Boston fell into a 4-4 formation and stymied the Fords, who were eager to avoid penalty kicks. Despite holding a two-man advantage for 21 minutes, the Fords were limited to just one shot on goal over the course of the two overtime sessions.

Castro-Dreher set the tone in penalty kicks, when he dove to the right and stopped Corkery.

Smick followed for the Beacons and hit the top-right corner for a 1-0 advantage. After the Fords second penalty taker tied it at 1-1, Goncalves sent the keeper the wrong way and easily found the right side of the netting.

Castro-Dreher made his second huge saves in penalty kicks on the next Ford, as he dove to his right and tipped the ball away with his right hand. 

Cunha calmly stepped in and blasted a shot into the top-right corner for a 3-1 lead. The Fords kept their season alive for one more kick, when Matthew Clausen beat Castro-Dreher for a 3-2 game.

De Carvalho went right down the middle on the final penalty, to send UMass Boston into the Sweet 16 for the first time.


  • The two teams combined for 56 fouls, seven yellow cards and two red cards in a physical affair. Haverford was whistled 31 times, to the Beacons 25.
  • Haverford outshot the Beacons 31-14 and held a 12-7 advantage in shots on goal.
  • Castro-Dreher's 11 saves in regulation and overtime, not counting penalty kicks, easily marked a new career-high. The freshman's previous high in saves was six against Thomas College on September 5.
  • Sunday's contest marked the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
  • UMass Boston had not taken part in penalty kicks since 2006, when the Beacons went to penalty kicks against Plymouth State University in the Little East Conference Tournament.


The NCAA will inform the Beacons and the other 15 remaining teams of their location and date and time of their Sweet 16 matchups on Monday morning.