Teixeira's Late-Game Heroics Lead Men's Soccer Past Thomas 4-3

Teixeira's Late-Game Heroics Lead Men's Soccer Past Thomas 4-3

BRISTOL, R.I.—A day after squandering a late lead in their season opener, UMass Boston men's soccer (1-1) turned the tables, as the Beacons roared back from a late 3-1 deficit to stun Thomas College (0-2) Sunday afternoon in the Consolation Game of the Roger Williams University/Squad Locker Classic.

Junior transfer Elton Teixeira (Boston, Mass.) recorded a hat trick within a one minute and 56 second span late in the second half, to lead UMass Boston to their first win of the year. The Boston native, who scored the Beacons' lone goal on Saturday, scored from the penalty spot and then added the game-tying and game-winning goals to record the first Beacons' hat trick since September 5 of last year.

Teixeira finished the weekend with four goals on just nine shots.

Senior forward Rolando Barbosa (Fogo, Cape Verde) recorded his first goal of the season in the first half to tie the game at 1-1 and Edmilson Barros (Praia, Cape Verde) added a second-half assist.

Dakota Duplissle and London Steede-Jackson each scored in the first 21 minutes of the second half to give Thomas a 3-1 edge with 25 minutes to play.

Freshman keeper Spencer Saunders (Old Lyme, Conn.) made his collegiate debut in net and earned the victory for the Beacons.

Joakim Sternas took the loss for the Terriers, despite making nine saves on 13 shots on goal. 

The Beacons held a commanding 25-6 edge in shots and 13-3 advantage in shots on goal, but needed Teixeira's late heroics to come away with a victory. Teixeira matched the Terriers in total shots (six) and shots on goal (three), while also tying Thomas with his three goals.

Barros led all players with eight shots, including seven on target.

Thomas grabbed an early lead just 13:32 into the contest when Max Hansson received a pass that split two Beacons' defenders and then fired a shot into the right corner of the netting for an early 1-0 lead.

The Beacons returned the favor in the 27th minute. Barbosa was able to gain possession of the ball in the box and push a short chip over Thomas' keeper for the game-tying score.

In the closing minutes of the half, UMass-Boston came close to going into halftime with the lead. Barbosa took a hard shot from just outside the penalty area. Thomas' Sternas was able to make a great jumping save, which was almost for naught as his stop glanced off of the top of the cross bar. Marcelo Cunha (Goiania Goias, Brazil) then tried to score on the loose ball but had his shot bounce off the right post.

Thomas needed little time into the second period to regain the lead. Two minutes into the half, Marcus Johnson (Sandy's, Bermuda) sent a short pass to the right to Duplissie. Duplissie would then deposit the ball into the left corner for the go-ahead goal. In the 66th minute, Steede-Jackson caught the Beacon defense off guard. He faked a pass and went with a short chip to the left corner, sailing the ball over the keeper and in for the goal.

The Thomas defense continued to bend throughout most of the second half, but finally broke in the final eight minutes of the game.

After being brought down in the box, Teixeira converted a penalty kick to bring the Beacons within one at 82:21.

On the ensuing kick-off, UMass-Boston was able to gain possession, with Barros gaining possession and bringing the ball to the right side, before sending a pass to Teixeira who drilled the game-tying goal, just 27 seconds after his first goal of the day.

Teixeira completed the hat trick 87 seconds later, when he maneuvered his way through multiple Terrier defenders to score the game-winning goal with just over six minutes left.

UMass Boston's defense took over from there, as the Beacons held Thomas without a shot over the final five minutes, to secure the victory.

The Beacons will have two days off, before they travel to Medford to take on Tufts University Wednesday afternoon at 4 p.m.