Goncalves' Late Goal Lifts Men's Soccer Past Southern Maine 3-2

Goncalves' Late Goal Lifts Men's Soccer Past Southern Maine 3-2

BOSTON, Mass.—Arlindo Goncalves (Brockton, Mass.) scored with less than six minutes remaining and UMass Boston men's soccer held on to an earn a 3-2 victory over the University of Southern Maine Saturday afternoon in both team's Little East Conference openers.

Freshman Edmilson Barros (Boston, Mass.) and junior captain Marcus Pizzetti (Malden, Mass.) each recorded a goal and an assist to help UMass Boston move to 7-2 on the year and earn their first 1-0 start in Little East play since 2009. Southern Maine tied their season-high for goals, but couldn't withstand the Beacons attack as they fell to 0-7-1 and 0-1 in Little East play. 

The Beacons rebounded from a first-half deficit to score three second-half goals, capped off by Goncalves' first collegiate goal, the game-winner at the 84:05 mark.

Sophomore keeper Alfonso Rosales (Revere, Mass.) made two saves to move to 6-2 on the year, while freshman Adam Verreault made 12 saves for the Huskies.

Despite holding a massive 28-12 shot advantage and dominating ball possession, the Beacons found themselves pressing for much of the afternoon, as many players made their Little East Conference debuts.

Tyler Rand lifted the Huskies to just their second lead of the season in the first half, when the junior blasted a shot from the top of the box into the upper left-hand corner of the net at the 9:06 mark.

The Beacons would go on to earn a 14-5 shot advantage of the half but couldn't put anything past Verreault.

UMass Boston got onto the board less than six minutes into the second half though, as Barros dribbled the ball through traffic and scored his Little East leading sixth goal of the game to tie the game at 1-1.

Just over ten minutes later, Barros found a streaking Pizzetti and the junior captain slid the ball into the left-hand corner past Verreault, to put UMB ahead 2-1 at the 60:34 mark. 

Southern Maine answered right back at 64:42, when Jonathan Varney blasted a shot past Rosales, that bounced by the keeper and into the far corner of the net.

UMass Boston picked the pressure up from there, creating several strong chances that ended up just high or wide, leading to a dramatic final six minutes. 

With six minutes to play, Pizzetti sent a through ball to Goncalves who sent a curving left-footed shot into the far netting, to give UMB the lead for good.

Southern Maine mustered one final chance in the waning seconds, as they earned back-to-back corners. On the final play of the game, Luke Pugsley's corner kick connected with a Huskies player's header, but the shot went just high, preserving the Beacons win.

The University of Southern Maine will finish off their two-game road trip when they visit Colby Colllege Tuesday at 4 p.m. UMass Boston will have a week off, before they take on in-state rival UMass Dartmouth next Saturday at noon in a Little East Conference showdown.