Saints Down Lacrosse in Non-Conference Action

Saints Down Lacrosse in Non-Conference Action

BOSTON, Mass. – In perhaps some of the most hazardous conditions that they will play in all season lacrosse and the Saints of Emmanuel College faced-off at the Boston College High School Stadium Wednesday afternoon.  With winds reaching over 40 mph combined with rain, sleet, ice, and some snow the two teams went head-to-head in a non-conference tilt which eventually saw the Saints walk away with a 9-4 decision.

The victory improved Emmanuel's overall record to 2-0 in only its second year as a Division III men's lacrosse program. The Beacons fell to 1-2 on the year as they played their third game in seven days.

Emmanuel used a 5-1 run the first half and added four more goals over the final 30 minutes of play, while only allowed three goals by the Beacons to earn the non-conference victory.  On top of battling the harsh conditions the two teams goalies played some of their best lacrosse so far this season.  For the Saints, Austin Lauzier combined for 10 saves and stopped numerous point-blank shots by the Beacons attack all afternoon.

In the Beacons cage Henry Bristol (South Hadley, Mass.) was just as solid, especially in the final two quarters as the senior made 11 stops, including a five save performance in the third.  The senior netminder also recorded his first assist of the year when he connected with Pete McNichols (Norwalk, Conn.) on a long clearing pass, which McNichols quickly turned into the Beacons third goal of the day.

Proving to be the biggest factor for the Saints when in the Beacons end was Kaile MacLean-Daley who finished with game-best three goals.  Wednesday's performance marked the second-straight team-leading showing by MacLean-Daley as he recorded five goals and one assist in the 14-7 season opening win against SUNY Maritime on Sunday.

For the Beacons four different players found the back of the cage with Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) striking first at the 2:08 mark in the first quarter to make it a 3-1 contest.  That goal would be the only tally for UMass as Emmanuel fired off two more goals, both from MacLean-Daley, prior to the end of the first half.  The Saints would get one more goal early in the third before UMB was able to score again. 

Thomas Petitti (Quincy, Mass.) sparked a little UMB rally in the third quarter with his fourth score of the season.  McNichols then cut the lead to three with only seven seconds left in the third frame (6-3).  Unfortunately that late push by the Beacons would see only one more goal in the final quarter, which came from Ryan McGoff (Charlestown, Mass.).  Emmanuel drove home three more goals to clinch the victory.

McNichols and Delpha would each record a team-best three groundballs, while Lauzier finished with a game-best four.  In the face-off circle Jake Pickett led the Saints with nine face-off wins on 14 attempts.  Defensively Jeremiah Treanor caused four Beacons turnovers, while the Beacons backline was led by Delpha's two forced turnovers.

Neither team was able capitalize on their man-up attempts, but Emmanuel did manage a man-down goal at 2:39 in the second.

The Saints held the advantage in groundballs collecting 28, while the Beacons were able to collect 18.  On clear attempts the Beacons went 16-for-25 and Emmanuel 13-for-16.

Lacrosse returns to action on Saturday when they host Thomas College (Maine) at 1 p.m. at Boston College High School.