Men’s Lacrosse Earns Huge Conference Win over Corsairs

Men’s Lacrosse Earns Huge Conference Win over Corsairs

BOSTON, Mass. – Led by freshman midfielder Donny Delpha (Walpole, Mass.) and senior goalie Anthony Fitti (Havertown, Pa.) men's lacrosse (2-8, 1-2 Little East) notched their first conference win of the season over in-state rival UMass Dartmouth (8-2, 2-1 Little East) by the final score of 12-10 Saturday afternoon at the Clark Athletic Center Field.

On the afternoon four different Beacons recorded two goals or more including Delpha's game and career-best four.  The Walpole native also recorded a career and game-high three assists to help push the Beacons past their conference rivals. 

For Fitti his day consisted of a career-high 20 saves.  The senior from Pennsylvania was like a wall as he made the Corsairs work very hard for every single one of their goals.  That along with a tremendous defensive effort UMass Boston knew that Saturday's match-up in front of a record crowd of fans was going to be their game to win.

As a team, UMass Boston finished a combined 33 saves and were 15-for-26 on face-offs.  Having his best overall performance on the face-off X was Leo Ajemian (Walpole, Mass.) as he won 14 of the 23 face-offs he was involved in.  The sophomore also matched the team-high in ground balls as he and Eric Collins (Somerville, Mass.) both recorded five on the day.  UMass Boston as a team collected 29 ground balls in the win, finishing just one less than their opponents. 

Scoring a pair of goals for the Beacons was Domenic Fichera (Scituate, Mass.), Ryan McGoff (Charlestown, Mass.), and Nate Staples (Salem, Mass.).  Ajemian, who also had two, assists along with Fichera and Thomas Petitti (Quincy, Mass.), also had one goal.  Cam Hanlon (Hanson, Mass.) was the final Beacon to score on Saturday, which ultimately clinched the win on Saturday.

UMass Dartmouth saw Christian Roberto finish with his team's only hat trick, while Nick Brett and Connor Gaffney each recorded a pair of goals.  Adam Niden was the Corsairs top playmaker as she finished with three assists to go along with his one goal.

In the cage Nick Thayer combined for 10 saves and was handed only his second loss of the regular season.  Fitti improved to 2-5 on the year with his 20 save effort.

Deadlocked at 6-6 after 30 exciting minutes of action, the two teams returned to the field for what would be a high energy second half.  The deciding quarter would be the third as UMass Boston outscored Dartmouth 4-2 in the frame.  After the Corsairs took a 7-6 lead just seconds into the third, the Beacons fired off three consecutive goals to make it 9-7.  Delpha would score two of those goals, while Ajemian recorded back-to-back assists. 

The Corsairs would then cut the Beacons lead back down to one on an even strength goal from Dalton, his fourth of the year.  However Ajemian extended Boston's lead back to with 1:35 left on the clock on an unassisted goal, his sixth of the campaign.

In the fourth and final quarter, Dartmouth came out firing scoring the quarter's first goal just 45 seconds in.  Less than three minutes later Delpha made it a two-score game on a man-up goal, which he fired home off of a Petitti pass.  Hanlon's goal with 7:44 made it a three goal game.

Dartmouth's final goal came with 3:59 left in the contest, but the late rally was stopped by the Beacons defense would completely neutralized the Corsair's attacking line.

Men's Lacrosse returns to action on Monday when they travel to Mt. Ida College for a 4 p.m. non-conference game.