CHARLESTOWN, Mass.—UMass Boston men's hockey jumped all over host Suffolk from the start, to dispatch their new conference foes 6-3 on Saturday night at Emmons Horrigan O'Neil Memorial Rink.
#9/10 UMass Boston 6, Suffolk University 3
(UMass Boston 7-0, NEHC 6-0)
(Suffolk 2-5, NEHC 0-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Beacons outshot the Rams 48-13 and five different players scored in the Saturday night New England Hockey Conference showdown.
Junior Tyler Sifferlen (North Andover, Mass.) paced the Beacons attack with a pair of goals.
Sophomore defenseman Nick Albano (Beverly, Mass.) added a team-high three assists in the victory.
In net, Bailey MacBurnie (Beverly, Mass.) made 10 saves on 13 shots to improve to 6-0 on the year.
Suffolk netminder Michael Levine made 42 on 47 shots in the loss.
The Beacons outshot the Rams 21-4 in the first period, but were forced to settle for a 1-0 advantage.
Sifferlen scored the lone goal in the period, when he scored off a pass from Stevie Bryant (Edmonds, Wash.) at 10:30.
The scoring picked up in the second period, as the Beacons outscored the Rams 3-1.
Nachbaur doubled UMass Boston's lead 1:16 into the second off a feed from Gabe Chuckran (Media, Pa.).
Bross made it 3-0 3:32 later, when he scored a power-play tally at 4:48. Nolan Redler (Winchester, Mass.) and Albano earned credit for assists on the play.
Suffolk's Joe Vingi put the Rams on the scoreboard at 8:32 of the second period.
The Beacons answered less than four minutes later, when Skinner scored a power-play goal off another Albano assist.
Suffolk attempted to mount a late charge midway through the third period when Matt Bucher and Brian Brooks scored back-to-back goals in a 37-second span to cut the Beacons lead to 4-3.
Sifferlen added an insurance goal at 17:17 off an assist from Albano to put the game out of reach.
Nitkin added his first collegiate goal, in his second career game, on an empty netter with 64 seconds to play.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Beacons outshot the Rams 48-13 and earned a 30-25 edge in face-offs.
- UMass Boston finished 2-5 on the power-play and held Suffolk to an 0-3 night on the man advantage.
- With the victory, UMass Boston improves to 14-2 all-time against their crosstown foes. The Beacons and Rams last met in 2014, when UMass Boston earned a 10-1 win.
- Sifferlen has recorded multiple points in two of his past three contests.
- With his three-point night, Albano has now recorded 36 career assists in 34 career games.
- UMass Boston is off to a 7-0 start for the second time in five years. The Beacons went a program-best 10-0 to start the 2014-15 season.
UMass Boston will travel to Southern New Hampshire University next weekend to play in the P.A.L. Stovepipe Classic Tournament. The Beacons will take on former assistant coach Sean Walsh's Penmen team on Saturday at 1:40 p.m.