#7/8 Babson Outlasts #13/15 Men's Hockey 4-2 In ECAC East Semis

#7/8 Babson Outlasts #13/15 Men's Hockey 4-2 In ECAC East Semis

WELLESLEY, Mass.—Connor Berto scored 5:17 into the third period to give #7/8 Babson College (21-4-2) a 3-2 lead, and the host Beavers hung on to down #13/15 UMass Boston (17-6-4) 4-2 Saturday evening in the ECAC East Semifinals.

UMass Boston's campaign came to an end for the second-straight season at the hands of the Beavers, as the defending ECAC East Tournament champions defeated UMass Boston 4-3 last season in the ECAC East Semifinals.

The contest marked the final collegiate contests for seniors Mark Grinhaus (Scarsdale, N.Y.), Cam Harvey (Bow, N.H.) and Travis Daniel (North Brunswick, N.J.).

After falling behind 1-0 and 2-1 in the first two periods, Babson scored a pair of power-play goals in the third period to earn their fourth-straight win over the Beacons, and third this year.

Stephen Buco (North Providence, R.I.) and Peter MacIntyre (Norfolk, Mass.) each scored for the Beacons, while Mike Kuhn (Holbrook, Mass.) and Grinhaus were credited with assists.

Sophomore goaltender Billy Faust (Alta Loma, Calif.) stopped 30 of 33 shots for UMass Boston, before being pulled with 1:08 to play.

Four different Beavers scored in the victory led by seniors Nik Tasiopolous, Pat Guerriero and Berto. Matt Furey added two assists for Babson, who moved to 13-0-1 this season at the Babson Skating Center.

ECAC East Goaltender of the Year Jamie Murray stopped 25 of 27 shots on the night, including all nine shots he faced in the third period.

UMass Boston struck for the first tally of the night when Buco fired home a shot off a Kuhn feed just 3:56 into the contest. After failing to score on a pair of power-play opportunities, the Beavers tied the score at 1-1, when Guerriero tipped home Furey's shot at 12:56 of the period.

The Beacons jumped on the Beavers early in the second period as well, as MacIntyre struck for his team-leading 18th tally of the year at 1:23 of the second. With the face-off coming in the right dot, Grinhaus won the face-off right back to MacIntyre, who fired home a shot to the near-side.

Babson evened the score at two at the 10:10 mark of the period on a Max Franklin goal. The sophomore tipped home Tim Searles' shot to tie the game just over midway through the contest.

After a tense five minutes to open the third period, Berto gave Babson their first and only lead of the night on a power-play goal. With less than a minute to go on a Beavers' power-play, Berto blasted a shot past Faust. Shayne Anderson and Ryan Heavery recorded assists on the play.

The Beacons immediately picked up their play after allowing the goal, as they sent three shots on Murray in the next minute of action, only to have the sophomore goalie stop all three.

UMass Boston earned their best chance to tie the contest midway through the stanza when they picked up back-to-back power-plays. Bucco nearly tied the game at 11:47 of the period, when his hard shot from the blue-line hit the crossbar, but Murray managed to corral the rebound, despite never seeing the shot.

The Beacons continued to fire a barrage of shots on Murray, but couldn't solve the nation's-leader in save percentage.

Babson finally put the Beacons' away with 19:34 to go after Bucco was sent to the box for elbowing. With the net empty and UMass Boston forced to play 5-on-5 instead of having the extra-attacker, Tasiopolous sent a back-hand shot past a Beacons' defenseman to make it 4-2 with 26 seconds to play.

The Beavers will head to Northfield, Vermont next Saturday for a rematch of last year's ECAC East Tournament Championship Game against top-seeded Norwich University.