Daniel Reaches 100-Point Milestone In Men's Hockey's Big Conference Win

Daniel Reaches 100-Point Milestone In Men's Hockey's Big Conference Win

BIDDEFORD, Maine—UMass Boston senior captain Travis Daniel (North Brunswick, N.J.) became the 13th player to reach the 100-point milestone and Men's Hockey (5-1-2, 2-1-2 ECAC East) dominated from start to finish to earn a 6-1 win over the University of New England (3-7-1, 1-5-0 ECAC East) Friday night at the Harold Alfond Forum.

Daniel's assist on Peter MacIntyre's (Norfolk, Mass.) goal at 8:33 of the second period helped Daniel become the 13th player in the 34-year history of the program to reach the milestone.  With his two additional assists, Daniel (36 goals and 66 career assists) stands just 11 points shy of David Friday ('85) and former teammate Eric Tufman ('11) for the top-10 in school history.

The Beacons' senior captain teamed up with linemates Nathan Milam (Westland, Mich.) and MacIntyre to terrorize the Nor'Easters for the second straight game. After totaling six points in Sunday's 5-2 win over the University of New England in the Manchester P.A.L./Stovepipe Classic Championship Game, the top line combined for three goals and seven assists in the ECAC East victory. MacIntyre recorded a goal and three assists in the win, while Milam added a game-high two goals and added an assist.

Sophomore Kit Sitterley (Mooresville, N.C.) added a goal and an assist, while Frankie DeAugustine (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and Tyler Bishop (Ramsey, N.J.) each registered markers. Bishop's goal was the first of his career in his fifth collegiate contest.

Sophomore Zach Andrews (Coral Springs, Fla.) just missed out on his first shutout of the season, stopping 22 of 23 shots and the first 20 shots he faced.

UMass Boston controlled the contest the entire way, outshooting the host Nor'Easters in every period and earning a 49-23 shot advantage. The Beacons also earned a 48-27 edge in the faceoff dot.

Milam opened the scoring at 13:26 of the first period, when he took a feed from MacIntyre and sent a shot past Colby Drost for a 1-0 UMB lead.

The Beacons top line doubled the advantage at 8:33 of the second period, when Daniel and Milam setup MacIntyre's game-winning goal.

MacIntyre and Daniel would factor in the third goal as well, as the two forwards found Sitterley for the lone power-play of the game at 18:21 of the period.

UMass Boston tacked on a fourth goal right out of the break, as Milam scored his fifth goal of the season just 36 seconds into the third. Daniel (10 assists) and MacIntyre (nine assists) each registered a helper on the play.

The Beacons made it 5-0 at 4:50, when Sitterley fed DeAugustine for his seconds goal of the season.

Bishop capped off the Beacons' scoring spree at 12:15, when he took passes from Jeremy Finger (Orlando, Fla.) and Mike Kuhn (Holbrook, Mass.) before sending a hard shot past Drost.

The Nor'Easters got on the board with just over five minutes left, as Trevor Fleurent registered his first collegiate goal at the 14:49 mark. 

UMass Boston will return to action Saturday afternoon at 4pm when they travel to take on the University of Southern Maine in the final game of their six-game road trip.